Q. To me The Simpsons are really funny but one of the brethren told me it’s bad and I shouldn’t watch them. What do you think?
A. The Simpsons Movie, a spin-off of the Simpsons sitcom, grossed $72 million in its first weekend. The Simpsons animated sitcom is the longest running sitcom in US television history and will soon start its 19th season in the States. Time magazine named it the 20th century’s best television series, and in 2000 it was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
But the Simpsons undermine godliness and God’s Word. Think about these quotes from Homer, the head of the Simpson family clan:
- “If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn’t, it’s that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.”
- “I’m not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I’m going to Hell?”
- “I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me Superman.”
- “Here’s to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life’s problems.”
- “Son, when you participate in sporting events, it’s not whether you win or lose: it’s how drunk you get.”
The Simpsons is not mere entertainment; it’s a reflection of rebellion against God.
The world is in open defiance against Almighty God, but this defiance will end in eternal disaster. Psalm 2:1-5 tells how the world and its rulers set about rebelling against God. And that’s not a vain imagination when you consider how the whole world is opposing Christianity in schools, business and public places! But God will have the last laugh!
So, listen to your brethren – that’s real wisdom. And don’t be a party to the world’s rebellion against God