Q. How can I tell if I’m doing a good job as a mother?
A. As a parent you are unique; as a couple you are unique and your children are unique. So it’s difficult for anyone to tell you how well you are doing as a Mother. For those reasons, you have to be in close touch with the One Who made all of you. He knows you intimately and has plans for your lives. It’s in prayer before Him on behalf of your children and husband that you will receive His guidance. Here are a few pointers:
- First step: be sure to work under the headship of your husband in co-operation with the oversight of your Fellowship. This is God’s way.
- The world has cast away sound norms and values. It is of the utmost importance to do what your Creator says, especially about raising children. You would be asking for trouble if you were to raise your children on a DIY basis. God’s Word is unfailingly up-to-date!
- Beware of current trends in child-raising. Psychologists deal with the mind; psychiatrists deal with the brain; but only God’s Word deals with the spirit – the seat of all our problems.
- As you search the Scriptures and pray, and then do what God directs, you will discover two wonderful results:
- The Lord will give you His strength and wisdom and
- As you apply His ways, you will sense His peace and pleasure
- Love your children unconditionally, but also discipline them when they do wrong. This is never a matter of love and discipline alternating; they operate together. Love them while disciplining them and vice versa.
- Always regard your children as belonging to the Lord; parent them on His behalf. Discover from Him what He wants for them and then set about directing them in His ways.
- Better than telling them Bible stories, introduce them to Jesus as early as possible and then teach them how to talk to the Lord.
This is how a good Mother works! God bless you!