Q. Why did God make the earth and us along with it? He doesn’t really need us, so why did He create anything?
A. David asked the same question, “What is man that Thou art mindful of him” – Ps 8:3-4. Acts 17:24-25 tells that God doesn’t need us, or anything. And He wasn’t lonely; there was perfect fellowship and unison between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In addition, God is totally secure in Who He is; He had no need to satisfy some craving to be worshipped. None of these concepts feature in why He made us.
God chose to create us out of His great love; “I have loved you with an everlasting love” – Jer 31:3. Yes, God loved us before he even created us; He wants us to enjoy all that He is and all He’s done.
In His great wisdom God created us to fulfil His eternal plan in:
- Loving Him totally forever – Deut 6:5
- Being part of a vast community of Love – Matt 22:39
- Reflecting Jesus’ immaculate handiwork for all Eternity – Eph 2:10.
- Being forever in glorious fellowship with Him – 1 Thess 4:17.
- Being party to His victory over sin, Satan and death – Eph 6:10-18.
- Being His instruments in winning people to Christ – 2 Cor 5:18-19.
- Being made like Jesus, perfect, forever – 1 Jn 3:1-3
That’s why we’re here. Have you chosen to fulfil your part?